Pages

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Flying - Falling

It’s difficult to fly with a broken wing –
Almost impossible, in fact.
As one tries to rise above the clouds,
The effort becomes too great.
The world seems tilted, unbalanced, teetering.
Perhaps it really is flat with a falling-off point,
I feel I am there.

I haven’t felt so weighted down in a long while,
Or so jumbled in my head,
Staring into space occupies my time,
A volcanic well of tension and anxiety reacts sharply
To a telephone’s ring, a child’s chatter,
Even a broken fingernail.

I plod from hour to hour
Longing only for the day to end
So I can say I made it through another day.
People pass in and out of my world –
I pay them no mind.

It’s lonely isolating oneself from human contact,
But perhaps necessary when waiting for a wound to heal.
I wonder if you are isolated too,
If a crippled limb prevents you from flying.

I wish we could fly together, just us two,
I would love you to heaven and back.
I would leave you no time for regret.
I would lift you to heights you’ve never known before,
If only you would let me.

Broken wings mend –
Perhaps I’ll fly again, perhaps I won’t –
I cannot say just now.

I’ll have to learn to walk again
Before I try to fly.

I have no motivation for doing either ---
Without you.

No comments: