Pages

Monday, February 20, 2012

I Brake for Jesus

You’ve seen bumper stickers saying, “I BREAK FOR BLONDES” or some such humor. Well, I’ve been avoiding braking at all whenever I could for a few weeks now, driving with “iffy” brakes. Scary and worrisome – tension-filled driving for sure, but finances prevented an immediate fix. Brake fluid was disappearing, resulting in the brake pedal going nearly to the floorboards. I was risking my life and the lives of others, I knew. Yesterday I shelled out $200 and now have brakes AND peace of mind.
Sitting in the auto shop waiting for the mechanic to complete my brake fix, I thought about the harried pace of our lives, the rushing to and fro, the errands, our jobs, our families, our obligations, “where do I need to be next?” and “what do I need to do next?”
Maybe we need to “brake” more for Jesus. Our hustle and bustle lives sometimes produce tension just as my malfunctioning brakes caused me. Tension obliterates reason at times, robbing us of coherent thought and calm. Who doesn’t want to be calm and reasonable? What do we accomplish, REALLY, when we feel harried and rushed and pushed and skidding out of control? What are we rushing toward? Is it worth the hassle? Look both ways! Slow down! Proceed with caution! Breathe! God is in control!
I often-times give myself a “brake/break”………to regroup, to pray, to thank God, to ask for directions, to refuel for the next minute, the next unexpected expense or event. I plug into my God GPS. I find that quiet time at the beginning or end of my day spent with Jesus are the best thing I can do for my body, mind and spirit. And yet sometimes I neglect it. “Iffy” brakes on my car reminded me that life has flawed “brakes/breaks” and if we don’t repair/fix/employ, we are skidding down a very slippery slope indeed. Stop! Pray! Meditate! Study! Listen! “Brake” for Jesus! It will save your soul and ensure your eternal life.

“Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; do not fret…..it leads only to evil…” Psalm 37:7a, 8b

No comments: